NINDS Announces Research Education Programs for Residents and Fellows
August 7, 2008
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) is offering a new pilot program designed to enhance the training of physicians and scientists in the fields of neurology and neurosurgery. The program will provide opportunities for residents who are strongly interested in research training while they participate in clinical training. The goal of the program is to increase the number of applicants applying for and receiving mentored career development (K) awards.
The application process is as follows:
- An application for the NINDS Research Education Programs for Residents and Fellows in Neurology and Neurosurgery (R25)—an educational grant—must be submitted on behalf of a department naming a prospective participant (resident) and providing the requested information about the resident and training plan.
- In the initial year, the R25 will provide support for one resident, although multiple residents may request funding if they justify the need.
- After the initial year, administrative supplement requests may be submitted for funding of additional residents or for those residents who wish to continue into their fellowship training (during a period of 12–18 months, up to a maximum of 24 months supported by the program).
In order for a resident to be considered for this program, he or she must commit:
- A minimum of six months to research in which they may be supported up to 12 months during their residency
- Eighty percent of their professional effort to research (note that the R25 will pay for eighty percent of the resident’s post-graduate year salary and fringe during this time, while the remaining twenty percent of professional effort can be spent in clinical duties)
The goal within this two-year training period is for participants to obtain preliminary data and skills necessary to apply for and receive a career development grant. The deadline for submission is September 2008. Read the NINDS R25 grant overview for further information.