Apply for eRx Exemption by November 8 to Avoid Penalties!
October 25, 2011
Neurologists and other qualified professionals must attest that they are eligible for an exemption by November 8 to avoid the 2012 Medicare Electronic Prescribing (eRx) payment adjustment.
The final exemptions include:
- Eligible professionals who register for the Medicare or Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive program in 2011 and adopt certified EHR technology
- Eligible professionals with the inability to electronically prescribe due to state or federal law restrictions
- Eligible professionals who have limited prescribing activity
- Eligible professionals who prescribe frequently but only for ineligible types of visits (due to limitations of the measure's denominator)
These exemptions are in addition to the two longstanding hardship exemptions:
- Physician or practice is in a rural area with limited Internet access; and/or
- Physician or practice is in an area with limited available e-Rx compatible pharmacies
Those who apply must access and complete CMS's web-based reporting tool by November 8, 2011. When reporting on the exemptions, be prepared to:
- Identify information such as your tax ID number, national provider identifier (NPI), name, mailing address, and email address
- Identify which significant hardship exemption category applies to you and/or your providers (indicate multiple exemptions if applicable)
- Provide a justification statement that describes how your compliance with the requirement for being a successful electronic prescriber for the 2012 eRx payment adjustment during the reporting period would result in a significant hardship to you and/or your practice
- Attest to the accuracy of the information provided
If your practice did not meet the previous June 30 deadline of writing and reporting 10 electronic prescriptions to avoid the 2012 payment adjustment, but feel that you meet one or more of the above exemptions, be sure to report at the CMS website by November 8 to avoid the 1-percent payment adjustment beginning January 1, 2012.
For more information visit www.aan.com/go/practice/pay/erx or contact Christi Kokaisel at firstname.lastname@example.org.